Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe returned from another trade mission abroad Friday with a familiar message.
“Our government remains focused on expanding Saskatchewan’s export markets around the world and diversifying our exports around the world,” Moe said. “And this is all part of our comprehensive tariff response plan.”
Moe left for Europe late last week to speak at the London Stock Exchange and attend the 2025 Hanover Messe trade show in Hanover, Germany, to speak with investors in the technology and advanced manufacturing sectors.
The premier returned without any new trade agreements, but says he was encouraged by the conversations he had.
The trip is the latest in a series of trade missions Moe has launched since the beginning of the new year. Moe has been to numerous countries where the province has a trade office, including the United States and Mexico, while other members of his cabinet have travelled to India, the United Arab Emirates, Vietnam and Singapore in recent weeks.
Unlike those trade missions, Moe’s latest travels come two days after U.S. president Donald Trump’s self-proclaimed “Liberation Day” where Trump detailed a reciprocal-tariff regime, targeting many different countries.
Moe says many countries will be looking for other places to do business. And with Canada faring better than other countries, Saskatchewan has a chance to develop new markets.
“There are going to be opportunities that arise, in that we most certainly, as a province that has contacts in many of these countries, are going to be advocating for diverting to Saskatchewan products,” Moe said.

The official opposition party is on board with Moe’s willingness to market Saskatchewan on a global scale, but it wishes Moe would keep other costs low.
“We are supportive of reaching out to other countries, to building those trade relationships to the trade offices,” Saskatoon Riversdale MLA Kim Breckner said Friday outside of the Saskatoon Cabinet office.
“Our only criticism has been, can you do that without staying in seven-star hotels and taking a limo around Paris to visit museums?”
Breckner says while Moe and other cabinet members use the province’s trade offices to market Saskatchewan, more work could be done within provincial borders.
“What we need to do is focus on what we can control. And right now, the number one thing should be supporting workers here to maintain jobs, to maintain our economy and industry here at home,” Breckner said.
Moe has taken a different stance than other Canadian provinces. Rather than condemn U.S. tariffs with harsh rhetoric, he has cautioned against any lasting damage and offered constant communication rather than retaliation.
“Despite the conversation we’re having today, they likely will continue to be Canada’s largest trading partner as the dust settles, and likely even Saskatchewan’s,” he said.
Moe reiterated Saskatchewan’s largest tariff threat isn’t coming from south of our border, it’s coming from China.
Moe said he spoke with Prime Minister Mark Carney, and Carney agreed to engage with the Chinese government to find a path to eliminate Chinese tariffs on canola and peas.
“From my understanding (that) has not occurred yet, so I ask for it again,” Moe said.