ADVERTISEMENT

Kitchener

SIU says Ontario Provincial Police not responsible for man’s death in custody

Published: 

Nathaniel Schofield in an undated photograph. (Source: Faye Dzikewich)

The Special Investigations Unit has released new details about the 2024 death of an Arthur, Ont. man while in Ontario Provincial Police custody.

Monday’s report also cleared officers and guards of any criminal charges related to his case.

On July 9, 2024, Nathaniel Schofield was arrested at his home in Arthur in connection to a domestic violence incident. The 36-year-old was charged with assault causing bodily harm. He was initially taken to the North Wellington Operations Centre in Teviotdale and then transferred to the OPP detachment in Rockwood, Ont. ahead of his bail hearing the following day.

The SIU said Schofield told officers prior to his arrest that he was opioid addict and would soon be sick. He also admitted to using fentanyl, crack cocaine and methamphetamines.

Nathaniel Schofield Nathaniel Schofield in an undated photograph. (Source: Faye Dzikewich)

Over the next eight hours, guards checked on Schofield frequently and offered him extra blankets after he told them he was experiencing chills and cold sweats. The report said he vomited several times, starting around 7:20 a.m., but declined medical treatment for his drug withdrawal symptoms. Schofield also changed cells at one point and when officers questioned his wellbeing, he reportedly said “he was fine.”

The SIU said Schofield had several seizures around 10:10 a.m. and, despite being given Narcan twice, stopped breathing and was unresponsive.

Paramedics took Schofield to Guelph General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 11:20 a.m.

The report indicated fentanyl, fentanyl derivatives (fluorofentanyl and methyl/isobutyryl-fentanyl), cocaine and methamphetamines were found in his system during the autopsy.

SIU decision

The SIU, which investigates all suspected police misconduct, have determined the officers and guards in charge of Schofield’s care were not responsible for his death.

In the report released Monday, Director Joseph Martino stated that he was “satisfied that [Schofield’s] arrest was lawful” and the officers “comported themselves with due care and regard for his health and wellbeing.”

Nathaniel Schofield Nathaniel Schofield in an undated photograph. (Source: Faye Dzikewich)

Martino cited several factors in his decision, including the OPP’s awareness of Schofield’s withdrawal symptoms, efforts to monitor his condition every 15 minutes or so, asking if he needed medical care, and promptly seeking help when Schofield experienced medical distress.

The SIU said the case is now closed.

Seeking answers

Schofield’s mother spoke with CTV News in January 2025 about her son’s death while in OPP custody.

Nathaniel Schofield Nathaniel Schofield in an undated photograph. (Source: Faye Dzikewich)

Faye Dzikewich described sitting in court for hours while waiting for Schofield to appear for his bail hearing, not knowing that he had been taken to hospital.

She also expressed concern that her son wasn’t being monitored closely enough and given proper care while in custody.

CTV News reached out to Dzikewich to get her reaction to the SIU’s final report. She said she does not believe drugs were responsible for her son’s death and plans on filing a police complaint.

- With reporting by Spencer Turcotte